Sunday, January 4, 2009

Your Listening Ears

Last night one of the little flutter pixies in my grove came skipping up to my log and announced, "I can't hear God. I sit here really quiet but I just can't hear him."

I didn't have the heart to tell her that she would probably spend the next ninety years figuring out how to hear the voice of God. My willow reed bookshelf has a number of volumes committed to the topic. Including "How to Hear from God" by Joyce Meyers. Maybe if I finished it I'd be closer to becoming an expert. Maybe.

The truth of the matter is, I don't think this is as difficult as we make it out to be. It just takes us committing to things that don't come naturally. Like...practicing solitude. Being alone just doesn't fit into most of our lives. Neither does being quiet. Pay attention to your life today. How often are you alone and quiet? No music, no talking (to others or yourself), no friends or family.

I think my time of quiet today totaled the amount of time I was in the shower. Even going to bed I turn on the tunes and then wake up to music.

So, fair humans, how do you hear from God? How do you know when God is speaking and when you might be hearing other voices? Leave a comment - share your thoughts.

Until next time, The B.D.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitor Counter